New To Caving? Check Out Our Top Equipment And Suggestions Part 1
Caving can be an exciting, rewarding experience for those who have a sense of adventure and are looking for a fun new sport. This sport consists of exploring wild cave systems in a way that keeps both you and the cave itself safe from harm. These naturally forming systems often feature complex tunnels, caves, underground streams, and more, bringing a new level of excitement in areas that never see the light of day.
If you’re new to this pastime, it’s essential to remember that preparation is the key for achieving a fun and exciting outcome. In order to do so, you’ll need the right caving gear, and Inner Mountain Outfitters is here to help!
Our online climbing equipment store provides the gear needed by professionals and adrenaline junkies of all types, and we’re here to outfit you for success on your next adventure. Today, we’ll begin discussing the essential caving gear needed to set out and explore the world beneath our feet. If you’re ready to get started, check out our online store, and get free shipping on your order if you spend more than 100 dollars!
No matter what drives you to explore Mother Nature, it is important to remember that safety should always be your top priority. Beginners to caving often decide that their current level of outdoor gear is enough, and soon learn that proper equipment helps to make the adventure safer and more fun. Be sure to speak with local professionals before you set out, and be sure to stock up on the right caving gear before descending. Doing so will help to keep you and your team safe, as well as avoid any unwanted surprises along the way.
Caves are not safe places, making it vital for everyone on the team to invest in a proper helmet that can protect against a variety of dangers. Falling, being struck by falling rocks, even standing up in a low-clearance area can all cause injuries, which is why we suggest not skimping out on the head protection.
Before you dive into this new hobby, be sure that your caving helmet meets the suggestions below:
- Proper fits — Helmets that don’t fit properly are often regarded as near-useless. If the helmet rides high or obscures your vision, it is time for a new size.
- Proper coverage — It helps to check to ensure your helmet keeps you properly protected. In tight spaces, you need the most protection without taking up a lot of space.
- Quick adjustments — Taking the helmet on and off will be much easier if it features technology that enables easy adjustments and simple snap features.
- Proper weight — Heavy, clunky helmets can become a nuisance in confined spaces.
- Waterproof — If your helmet is lined with absorptive materials, problems such as hypothermia can set in before you know it. Be sure your caving helmet does not hold water!
- UIAA-approved — The International Climbing and Mountain Federation (pardon the French acronym) sets the standards for safety and proper coverage for equipment used in climbing sports. Helmets that are approved by this body are better able to protect from a variety of damages.
- Holds your caving headlamp — Properly equipped helmets keep your pathway illuminated, but ill-fitting systems may cause discomfort.
Investing in a helmet is a great place to start when acquiring your caving equipment, which is where Inner Mountain Outfitters can help. Check out quality gear such as our Kong Mouse Sport helmet!
Going underground means you’ll be exposed to a lot of uncomfortable elements. Water, mud, rocks, and freezing temperatures can all be experienced in a matter of minutes when caving, making it essential to find the right outfit for the adventure. Much like how a skier will layer up when riding down from the summit, cavers are much more comfortable when they dress in layers. The type of material you choose will also help or hurt your expedition. Layering up in cotton, for example, will only cause you to freeze when water or sweat begins to saturate your outfit. Be sure to stock up on wool, neoprene, and polypropylene clothing to keep you warm in wet conditions.
Inner Mountain Outfitters proudly provides all of the caving clothing you need to stay warm and dry in the face of extreme conditions. Beyond the underlayers needed to keep you comfortable, our outfitter store also provides rugged outer layers such as our AV Holloch suit, comprised of polyurethane-coated polyamides to keep the heat in and the moisture out. If you’re not ready to spend the money needed for top-notch protection, old, rugged clothing can serve as a short-term substitute until you’re fully addicted to the experience.
If you’re gearing up for adventure in 2019, be sure to check out our online store to get started. Next time, we’ll continue this topic by highlighting other essential caving gear needed to make the most of your underground adventure. Be sure to start shopping online, and contact us if you have any questions!